5133 Springs Boulevard
AVAILABLE PDP POINTS:
8 Points per day, 16 Points total
*Points only available for those members who are active
PGA of BC Members: $99 + GST
Non-Members*: $199 + GST *Please note: Guests must be sponsored by an attending PGA of BC Class "A" Member
Feb. 1, 2019
Business Formal (See here for detailed description)
DAY 1 - MONDAY, FEBRUARY 11
9:45AM - Introductory remarks: Donald Miyazaki, Executive Director, PGA of BC
10:00AM – Dr. Stuart Love, DC; The Healthy Golfer
11:30AM – Tom Mayenknecht; Principal, Emblematica Brand Builders
12:30PM – Lunch
1:30PM – Gabriel Hjertstedt; Gabe Golf
4:30PM – PGA of British Columbia Annual General Meeting
DAY 2 - TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 12
8:00AM – Adam Helmer; Director of Rules, Competitions & Amateur Status, Golf Canada
9:00AM - Alan Palmer, PGA of Canada; Head Professional, Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club, & Denzil Palmer; Palmer Golf Advisors
10:30AM - Joseph Mayo; Director of Instruction, TPC Summerlin
11:30AM - Lunch
12:30PM - Joseph Mayo (continued)
2:30PM - Closing remarks; Donald Miyazaki
DAY 1 SPEAKERS:
Dr. Stuart Love, DC; The Healthy Golfer
TOPIC: "Longevity -- Life on the Tour"
Based on his recurring work with several high-level professional golfers, including multiple major champions, Dr. Love will examine the many items that get addressed with elite players throughout the season -- during event weeks, during off-tour weeks -- and detail his extensive involvement working with PGA Tour players to allow them compete at their highest level.
BIO: A Victoria native, Dr. Love's involvement with elite-level sport started with pole vaulting, where he competed on the Canadian National Track and Field team for 10 years, and after a 17-year break, returned to compete in the 2010 World Indoor Masters Games, winning a Bronze medal. He graduated as a Doctor of Chiropractic from the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College in 1996 with clinic honours, then went on to complete the Fellowship program for the College of Chiropractic Sports Sciences. Dr. Love splits his time between Balance Wellness and Sport, his Victoria practice, and treating his clients on the PGA Tour, who include a number of the world's top-ranked players.
Tom Mayenknecht; Principal, Emblematica
TOPIC: "Making Your Brand Fly like an Eagle"
Your brand is your story. It’s that simple. Telling that story, however, requires the same kind of commitment, dedication and execution associated with the top golf professionals. Brand marketing veteran Tom Mayenknecht – a principal in the Vancouver brand-based business development company Emblematica and sport business commentator on "The Sport Market" on TSN Radio – will take a swing at the best practices that turn bogeys into eagles in terms of marketing, communications and sales results. His highly-interactive workshop-style presentation will touch upon the building blocks of your brand, the essence of your story: Mantra, Mission, Vision and key messaging. You will leave with the notion that brand is not the logo of your club or organization: It’s everything behind the graphics that invokes a familiar response in the eyes, ears and minds of your members, customers and other key stakeholders.
BIO: Best-known for his nationally-recognized work in media and communications, Tom Mayenknecht is a principal in Emblematica, a Vancouver-based brand development company. He doubles as the founder and host of The Sport Market on TSN Radio, the only nationally-syndicated sport business show of its kind. Mayenknecht is also the Chair of the Board of Trustees of the BC Sports Hall of Fame and Founding Chair of the Paul Carson Broadcast & Media Awards and a KidSport Ambassador. His experience spans brand management, communications, sport management, cause marketing, journalism, television, radio, public speaking and media training. In more than 20 years of executive experience in professional and Olympic sport, Mayenknecht has served in leadership roles at Tennis Canada, the Toronto Raptors and the old Vancouver Grizzlies of the NBA. He was Vice-President of Communications & Public Relations for the Vancouver Grizzlies and Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment, Vice-President of PacificSport and Executive of the Year in the National Lacrosse League (2001).
Gabriel Hjertstedt; Gabe Golf
TOPIC: Hjertstedt will detail how he transitioned from a successful career as a touring professional to becoming an acclaimed coach known for his short-game prowess. It's that area of expertise -- short game and scoring aspects -- Hjertstedt will focus on in the portion of his talk dedicated to instruction and coaching.
BIO: Hjertstedt assembled an impressive PGA Tour career that included two victories and saw him become the first Swedish player to win on tour. In 2009, Hjertstedt began the next phase in his career as he became a world-class golf instructor, traveling around the United States and the world coaching PGA Tour professionals such as Kevin Kisner, Kevin Chappell, Graham DeLaet, Colt Knost and Freddie Jacobson, along with consulting other top tour players. In addition, he has worked with top LPGA Tour players such as Danielle Kang, Anna Nordqvist and Lydia Ko. Hjertstedt has also made a successful career out of teaching and coaching amateurs of all ages and skill levels.
DAY 2 SPEAKERS:
Adam Helmer; Director of Rules, Competitions & Amateur Status, Golf Canada
TOPIC: Helmer will provide an update on the Rules modernization initiative for 2019. He will provide timely information and background on the process and share how PGA professionals can help with education and related efforts this season. There will also be a focus on what is new for Committees and look at the implications in Canada with respect to course marking, Local Rules and conducting competitions at your golf course.
BIO: Helmer has been involved in the sports industry for over 10 years and has been with Golf Canada since 2008. He is responsible for governing the Rules Education Program and Rules of Amateur Status, as well as all aspects of the association’s amateur competitions. He has extensive experience conducting national and international events, and served as the Technical Delegate for golf’s debut at the Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games. His experience as a Rules Official extends to countless championships including the U.S. Open, The Open, THE PLAYERS Championship, RBC Canadian Open and Canadian Pacific Women’s Open.
TOPIC: "The Evolution of Great Golf Clubs"
Through an examination of renowned golf clubs, Denzil and Alan will share how history, traditions, vision and leadership all contribute to both growing the game and a sustainable future for the club, its members and staff.
BIO: Father-and-son duo Denzil and Alan Palmer have a wealth of experience guiding prestigious clubs between them.
Denzil Palmer’s enviable reputation and vast network throughout the Club and Hospitality Industries are an asset to his clients at both Palmer Golf Advisors and Palmer & Associates. For 28 years, Denzil Palmer served as General Manager and Secretary of The Royal Montreal Golf Club. Under Denzil’s leadership, the club hosted several successful amateur and professional tournaments, including Canadian Opens in 1997, 2001 and 2014, as well as The Presidents Cup in 2007. His lengthy tenure at Royal Montreal followed almost a decade in the hotel industry and a stint as GM of Greenhills Country and City Clubs in London, Ont., for 14 years. Denzil Palmer received the Club Manager of the Year Award in 1997. In 2017, he was presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Excellence in Club Management Awards in San Francisco. He is only the third recipient of this Award in over 2 decades. Also in 2017, the Canadian Society of Club Managers (CSCM) presented Denzil with the President’s Award (the Society’s most prestigious Award), recognizing him as one of CSCM’s longest standing and highly regarded General Managers.
Alan Palmer is in his eighth season as Director of Golf / Head Golf Professional at Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club. In his time there, he has earned a number of provincial and national accolades, including being named the PGA of Canada's Golf Professional of the Year in 2016. Prior to his arrival in Vancouver, he had the opportunity to serve on the professional staffs of some of the world's most renowned facilities, including Augusta National Golf Club, The Country Club - Brookline and St. George's Golf & Country Club. Alan currently serves on the Board of Directors for the PGA of BC as the Vice-President, Finance and is a member of the Titleist / FootJoy (Acushnet Canada) & POLO Ralph Lauren National Leadership Advisory Staff.
Joseph Mayo; Director of Instruction, TPC Summerlin
TOPIC: Considered one of the world's foremost experts on ball flight and the three-dimensional technology used to measure it, Mayo will share some of the insights that have made him one of the game's most sought-after coaches in an age of new approaches to golf instruction.
BIO: Currently serving as Director of Instruction at TPC Summerlin in Las Vegas, Nevada, Mayo has given instruction to over 50 players on the PGA Tour, Web.com Tour and Champions Tour. Current PGA Tour students include Brian Gay, Tom Pernice, Jr., and Tommy Armour lll. Current Web.com students are Edward Loar, Rhein Gibson, Ethan Tracy, and Nick Heinen.
OFFICIAL HOST HOTEL
10551 St Edwards Dr,
Phone (604) 273-3311
PGA of BC members are encouraged to take advantage of special rates offered by our Preferred Partners at Accent Inns by using the promo code ‘PGABC’ when making their next booking.
Rooms are available from $119 per night when using the promo code.
- Jeff Wiggins, Mountain View Golf Club
- Alan Palmer, Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club
- Cailean Hourigan, Bear Mountain Resort Community
- Shingo Akizuki, Mayfair Lakes Golf & Country Club
- Dylan Cheyne, Bear Mountain Resort Community
- Jeff Buder, McCleery Golf Course
- Colin Bykowski, Pacific Golf Academy
- Tom Flockhart, McCleery Golf Course
- Ryan MacKenzie, Unaffiliated
- Matthew Bartholomew, GolfTEC South Surrey
- Norm Baufeld, GolfTEC Vancouver
- Vaughn Marshall, Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club
- Gord Mink, Hi-Knoll Driving Range
- Luke Bogdan, Ledgeview Golf Club
- Drew Scollon, Point Grey Golf & Country Club
- Greg Pool, Capilano Golf & Country Club
- John Jacoby, Shannon Lake Golf Club
- Lance McCullough, Cordova Bay Golf Course
- Bradford Walterhouse, Unaffiliated
- Michael Thompson, Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club
- Ashley Zibrik, Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club
- Danny Long,Tsawwassen Springs
- Steven Liddicoat, University Golf Club
- Leila Harman, Morgan Creek Golf Course
- Derek Orr, Victoria Golf Club
- Zach Belitsky, Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club
- Jonathan Kadin, Nielsen Agencies
- Mark Lindsay, Nielsen Agencies
- James Heath, GolfTEC Coquitlam
- Doug Hastie, Olympic View Golf Club
- Jessey Church, Aberdeen Glen Golf Club
- Jonathon Motomochi, Morgan Creek Golf Course
- Jamie Stirling, GolfTEC Coquitlam
- Brian Wise, Glacier Greens Golf Club
- Brian McDoanld, Fairview Mountain
- Rob Tadey, Fairview Mountain
- Jeff Johnson, Modern Golf
- Mark Thirtle, Capilano Golf & Country Club
- Justin Min, University Golf Club
- Colin Lavers, Seymour Golf & Country Club
- Conner Kozak, The Okanagan Golf Club
- Don Brett-Davies, GolfTEC North Vancouver
- Terry Drever, GolfTEC North Vancouver
- Adam Blair, Talking Rock Golf Course
- Padraic O'Rourke, The Fairmont Chateau Whistler Golf Club
- Mike Haraguchi, Capilano Golf & Country Club
- Jeff DeBou, Seymour Creek Golf Centre
- Richard Ingle, Arbutus Ridge Golf Club
- Andrew Hajer, Arbutus Ridge Golf Club
- Arthur Brown, Arbutus Ridge Golf Club
- Jayme Young, Arbutus Ridge Golf Club
- Jonathan MacKenzie, GolfTEC South Surrey
- Lee Ranger, The Okanagan Golf Club
- Clay Stothers, The Okanagan Golf Club
- Austin Bosquet, The Okanagan Golf Club
- Cyrus Janssen, PGA of America
- Bill Kelly, Glacier Greens Golf Club
- Warren Reeves, Highland Pacific Golf
- Callum Ashby, Highland Pacific Golf
- Dan Naismith, The Tour Lab @ Northview
- Brad Liptrot, Olympic View Golf Club
- Nawin Khailkaew, Golden Eagle Golf Club
- Jennifer Greggain, Chilliwack Golf Course
- Derek Thornley, Fraserview Golf Academy
- Michael Grabowski, The Vancouver Golf Club
- Harris Stoneman, Talking Rock Golf Course
- Matthew Steinbach, Simon Fraser University
- Patrick Lago, Westwood Plateau Golf Academy
- Myles Johnson, Spallumcheen Golf & Country Club
- Mason Lafrance, Fraserview Golf Course
- Scott Kolb, Victoria Golf Club
- Steven MacPherson, Storey Creek Golf Club
- Derek Hinchcliffe, GolfTEC Vancouver
- Justin Fram, Victoria Golf Club
- Rob Anderson, Kelowna Golf & Country Club
- Jamie Stevens, Kelowna Golf & Country Club
- Charles Beneteau, Kelowna Golf & Country Club
- Jon Hopfner, Kelowna Golf & Country Club
- Belinda Miyashiro, Seymour Golf & Country Club
- Derek Lutz, Meadows Golf Centre
- Matt Cella, Rob Houlding Golf Academy
- John Randle, Premier Royal Sports
- Mark Bicknell, Victoria Golf Club
- Jordan Rourke, The Fairmont Chateau Whistler Golf Club
- Thomas Malchow, Unaffiliated
- Dave Munn, Talking Rock Golf Course
- Matt Palsenbarg, The Tour Lab @ Northview
- Colin McIntosh, Chilliwack Golf Club
- Mark Strong, Richmond Country Club
- Graham Ogden, Richmond Country Club
- Doug Morgan, Richmond Country Club
- Dan Yoon, Richmond Country Club
- Robbie Woods, Richmond Country Club
- Mike Cyndroski, Richmond Country Club
- Cindy Soukoroff, St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino
- Chris Medford, St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino
- Chad Scott, The Rise Golf Course
- Stephanie Wong, Point Grey Golf & Country Club
- Kattereya Kennedy, Point Grey Golf & Country Club